Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Running again!

I totally forgot to post that I got my GTS back on the road Monday night! I installed the new variator, belt and the freshly cleaned clutch, leaving out two weights from the variator, for better gearing in the hills with the oversize rear tire. I have to say that it does rev a lot higher with fewer weights, reminiscent of the Polini, and it's a little slow when first taking off. However, acceleration is quite good when I punch it, and I'm sure that the extra torque will be very useful on the trip over to Santa Cruz.

I also got a new set of Heidenau tires at Moto Amore, a K66 130/70-12 in the front and a K58 140/70-12 in the rear. They're still breaking in, but I really like the K66 on the front, it's much quieter than the K58 was, and it seems to grab fairly well. The K58 on the rear does seem to handle differently, it feels a little less sticky, but that may be due to the fact that it's not completely broken in yet. I'll give it some time and see how it goes.

One thing I noticed tonight is that it sounds like there's a small exhaust leak. John mentioned that one of the exhaust manifold nuts was loose. I'll check it to see if maybe it came loose again. Stupid scooters... it's always something! ;)

3 comments:

H said...

Glad it's running again!

Homie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Homie said...

Bagel, Could you check your 2008 flickr page with tour georgeous Gray GTS 250 Vespa? I posted some questions there about it, but I think you've moved on since then, so no answers. Boy, do you make good esthetic choices! Thanks.